Health Promotion and Advocacy Working Group
World Prematurity Day Primer
The March of Dimes Infographic
Premature Births: Crisis, Care and Prevention
|Reformatted from the original Infographic by March of Dimes (http://bit.ly/VyTqLK)|
Key points presented:
- Number of premature births worldwide.
- Number of premature deaths in every 30 seconds.
- Childhood (under 5) mortality rates brought by AIDS, Malaria and Diarrhea as compared to deaths due to premature birth.
- The survival gap between low- and high- income countries
- Percent of preventable deaths (even without intensive care)
- Ways to prevent the increase in premature births:
- Raise awareness
- Educate girls and women
- Educate front-row workers
- Equip clinics
- Fund research